This streusel (a.k.a., crumble) topping is great on pies. Especially apple pies! (A nice substitute for a top crust.) This recipe makes enough for two pies. Leftover streusel also freezes easily.
- 8 ounces brown sugar (golden or dark)
- 1 cup unbleached white pastry flour
- (optional) 1/2 cup ground nuts; almonds and hazelnuts work nicely
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Chop the butter into 1/2 inch pieces, then toss into the bowl.
- Using a pastry blender and/or your fingers, work the butter in until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- If the kitchen or weather is hot, chill the streusel in the refridgerator for about an hour before using it.