Skip to content

Your comments about comments (and registration)

To my dear users who are so kind as to help me test this test site: Please feel free to post feedback about comments and user registration here. Muchas gracias!

18 comments

1. smfr wrote:

Word

Friday, 15 December 2006 at 11:02 pm | Permalink
  2. kjmoose wrote:

I am a little leery about having to register to post comments. I know very little personal information is required, but I have a touch of “registration fatigue” — seems like practically every site out there requires individual registration now. Not sure it’s a hoop I would bother jumping through if I were a casual reader.

The process was fairly smooth, although I would rather be able to just pick a password rather than having one mailed to me.

Friday, 15 December 2006 at 11:34 pm | Permalink
  3. kjmoose wrote:

One other thing: the dead-end screen after the comment verification is problematic. A redirect back to the comment page would be great, if you can manage it, but at the very least I’d rather see a link back to the front page.

Friday, 15 December 2006 at 11:38 pm | Permalink
  4. sairuh wrote:

Re: Commenting in general: Y’know, I just realized it’d be useful if there were a way to reply to a specific comment in a given post. Might need a plugin for that; will investigate.

Re: Comment 2: Odd, I thought that I made the option to not require registration. I’ll double-check. This might be due to one or both of the anti-spam plugins I’ve turned on.

Re: Comment 3: Thanks for pointing that out! Yeah, I wonder if disabling the CAPTCHA feature might workaround this. Will investigate.

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 10:08 am | Permalink
  5. sairuh wrote:

This is sairuh adding a comment.

Re: Comment 2: Whoops, I had selected the option “Users must be logged in to comment.” I had meant to turn that off before letting y’all test –my bad!

Let me know how it is now with “anonymous” comments allowed.

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 10:32 am | Permalink
  6. sairuh wrote:

Re: Comment 3: Yep, it’s Spam Karma 2’s CAPTCHA feature which results in the dead-end screen. I’ve disabled it.

Two issues “fixed”! Thanks for testing, you guys.

I still would like some other human test filter for deterring spambots. There are other plugins which ask questions, but I’d need to ensure they don’t result in the dead-end page either (or other annoyances).

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 10:50 am | Permalink
  7. smfr wrote:

Testing

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 1:07 pm | Permalink
  8. smfr wrote:

One more time

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 1:09 pm | Permalink
  9. sairuh wrote:

K, about comment 2: You can change your passwd via the “Site Admin” link under the Meta section in the sidebar. I think that intial registration does the passwd autogeneration as semi-authentication, since it is emailed to you…

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 7:04 pm | Permalink
  10. sairuh wrote:

K: And then click on the Profile tab. The change passwd, email, etc. are there.

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 7:10 pm | Permalink
  11. test wrote:

test

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 8:22 pm | Permalink
  12. kjmoose wrote:

Hey SE, I did change the password already, so that’s not a problem. Just, it felt like another hoop to jump through, waiting for a password registration email before I could comment.

I’ll try logging out and commenting “anonymously” now.

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 8:23 pm | Permalink
  13. kjmoose wrote:

Hmm, just posted a comment that didn’t show up. Let’s try again.

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 8:24 pm | Permalink
  14. KJ wrote:

Hmm, just tried posting comments while logged in and they never showed up. No error message or anything. Let’s try it this way…

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 8:27 pm | Permalink
  15. tc wrote:

Test.

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 8:31 pm | Permalink
  16. tc wrote:

Test again.

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 8:33 pm | Permalink
  17. sairuh wrote:

Ah, but may I post again?

Saturday, 16 December 2006 at 9:04 pm | Permalink
  18. Akkana wrote:

I agree with kjmoose about the registration fatigue, and not wanting to wait for email.
    (I’m trying this with cookies off and no registration — if it works, woohoo!)

One problem I’m having is that this Message box isn’t as wide as the text I’m typing into it, so I can’t see roughly the right 1/4 of each line I’m typing — it’s just invisible.

Sunday, 17 December 2006 at 7:56 pm | Permalink